This series of posts quoting various Islamic Jurists' Fiqh on offensive Jihad is derived from FOMI's Offensive Jihad Thread, which I saved prior to the forum's censorship by the Swedish government. The Offensive Jihad Thread is preserved in FOMIJihad.chm.
Sharia: the path to the living waters; threatening to drown the world in blood. It is Islamic law, derived from Allah's word and Moe's Sunnah, the constitution & precedent.
"Umdat as-Salik wa 'Uddat an-Nasik (Reliance of the Traveller and Tools of the Worshipper, also commonly known by its shorter title Reliance of the Traveller) is a classical manual of fiqh for the Shafi'i school of Islamic jurisprudence." Here is the Wikipedia entry.
The book is about 1200 pages long. While you can search it at Muhaddith, there are some limitations to the search. The text has been posted an an educational site. I suggest using the Ctrl F search function to find what you are seeking if you go here and delve into it: http://www.nku.edu/~kenneyr/Islam/Reliance.html .
Scribid displays a scanned image of the book. Somehow they arranged a means of searching it, which works much faster than I expected. Of course you can't cut and paste from it, but it should be useful for verifying content found in other sources.
Allah.com displays a text file, so you can copy & paste. That will facilitate using quotes in blog posts. Unfortunately, they renamed and rearranged the books, and added a half dozen. Two columns are displayed, on the left, a list of the books and a code for deciphering the original names. Book O is transmuted to Book 9. Links to the entry points are in the right hand column.
Offensive Jihad is fard Kifaya, a communal obligation jointly binding on all capable male Muslims until a sufficient number are recruited. This concept is raised in quotes from several Jurists. Numbers in parenthesis refer to order in this series of posts.
- al-Shafi'i (3)
- Ibn Qudama (8)
- Ibn Taymiyya (9)
- al-Misri (12)
- Molla Khosrew (13)
- Shykh Zeenu’d-Din (14)
- Fadl-Ullah bin Ruzbihan Isfahani (15)
- Abdullah Yusuf Azzam (23)
- Hasan al-Banna (24)
Fard denotes obligatory religious duty. Fard al-ayn is binding on all individuals, such as the five daily prayers. Fard al-kifaya is a communal obligation. The obligation to attack Kuffar is fard al-kifaya. The obligation to repulse invaders is fard al-ayn..
The duty to attack Kuffar is particularly addressed to the Imam. This is raised by several of our Jurists.
- al-Mawardi (5)
- al-Ghazali (6)
- Ziauddin Barani (11)
- Ziauddin Barani (13)
- Ziauddin Barani (15)
- Shah Wali-Allah (19)
- Abdullah Yusuf Azzam (23)
Several of the rulings we examined mention the ayat which make offensive Jihad obligatory.
Three of these are well worth review.
- 9:29. Fight against those who (1) believe not in Allâh, (2) nor in the Last Day, (3) nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allâh and His Messenger (4) and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islâm) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.
- 9:38. O you who believe! What is the matter with you, that when you are asked to march forth in the Cause of Allâh (i.e. Jihâd) you cling heavily to the earth? Are you pleased with the life of this world rather than the Hereafter? But little is the enjoyment of the life of this world as compared with the Hereafter.
- 9:39 If you march not forth, He will punish you with a painful torment and will replace you by another people, and you cannot harm Him at all, and Allah is Able to do all things.
Allah commanded Muslims to fight Jews & Christians. He reprimanded those who refused, threatening them with Hellfire and luring them with the promise of Paradise.
Umdat as-Salik tells us what the Caliph does and why:
O9.8: The Objectives of Jihad
The caliph (o25) makes war upon Jews, Christians, and Zoroastrians (N: provided he has first invited them to enter Islam in faith and practice, and if they will not, then invited them to enter the social order of Islam by paying the non-Muslim poll tax (jizya, def: o11.4) -which is the significance of their paying it, not the money itself-while remaining in their ancestral religions) (O: and the war continues) until they become Muslim or else pay the non-Muslim poll tax (O: in accordance with the word of Allah Most High,
"Fight those who do not believe in Allah and the Last Day and who forbid not what Allah and His messenger have forbidden-who do not practice the religion of truth, being of those who have been given the Book-until they pay the poll tax out of hand and are humbled" (Koran 9.29),
The Caliph makes war on "people of the Book" because Allah ordered it in 9:29. Later in the chapter, the duties of the Caliph are listed. One of them isof interest.
O25.9-8 and if the area has a border adjacent to enemy lands, an eighth duty arises, namely to undertake jihad against enemies, dividing the spoils of battle among combatants, and setting aside fifth (def: o10.3) for deserving recipients.
Riyad-us-Saliheen, Book 11, Chapter 234 lists several relevant ayat and many relevant ahadith, with commentary.
Other relevant ayat are translated and explained, along with relevant ahadith in the following topics in Ibn Kathir's Tafsir. These demonstrate the obligation of Jihad, supremacism & triumphalism.
- The Command to have Enmity towards the Disbelievers and to abandon supporting Them
- The Command to strike the Enemies' Necks, tighten Their Bonds, and then free Them either by an Act of Grace or for a Ransom
- The Order to fight until there is no more Fitnah
- Allah gives Victory to the Believing Group
- Permission to fight; this is the first Ayah of Jihad
- The Order for Jihad against the Disbelievers, the Closest, then the Farthest Areas
- The Order to fight to eradicate Shirk and Kufr
- The Order to fight People of the Scriptures until They give the Jizyah
- The Order for Jihad against the Disbelievers and Hypocrites
- The Good News that Muslims will conquer the Known World, and ultimately the Entire World
- The Good News that Muslims will Dominate the People of the Book
- The Good News that Islam shall prevail
I have now made available to you ample evidence of the fact that Islam is a war cult, not a "great religion of peace". If you will turn to Sahih Bukhari and read these books, you will know that Moe was a warmonger. That should be sufficient to convince you that Islam has not been hijacked by a violent minority of extremists.
- Fighting for the Cause of Allah (Jihaad)
- One-fifth of Booty to the Cause of Allah (Khumus)
- Military Expeditions led by the Prophet (pbuh) (Al-Maghaazi)
Previous posts in this series:
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #1
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #2
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #3
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #4
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #5
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #6
- Its shari’ah, Stupid #7
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #8
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #9
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #10
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #11
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid, #12
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #13
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #14
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #15
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #16
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #17
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #18
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #19
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #20
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #21
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #22
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #23
- Its Shari’ah, Stupid #24